Can Foundation Issues Really be Fixed?
Perhaps no words strike fear into a Hamilton homeowner's heart than the words “foundation issues.” When they hear these words, most people immediately imagine the worst-case scenario – their home falling apart around them. Thankfully, most foundation issues can be fixed – although the cost to do so will vary depending on the extent of the damage.
How to tell if your home has foundation issues.
If you suspect that your Hamilton home has foundation issues, here are a few telltale signs that to look for:
- Cracks on the walls and floors – while it is normal for homes to develop tiny cracks in the basement over the first couple of years, horizontal cracks and cracks larger than 1/16th of an inch could indicate a problem.
- Sagging or uneven floors or ceilings – if you notice this, there is a good chance that your home has a foundation problem.
- Slab leaks – this occurs when there is a leaky pipe in the home’s foundation. When the pipes leak, water can back up under the slab. You may not notice this happening at first, but if your water bill is going up when your usage isn’t, this may be the cause. Other signs include the sound of running water and warm spots on the floor.
- Damage to exterior walls – any damage occurring to the exterior walls could be a sign of a problem. In particular, pay attention to crumbling brick or cement.
- Sticky windows and doors – When a foundation warps or settles, it can affect how windows and doors “fit” in their frame and make them more difficult to open and close.
How can foundation issues be fixed?
The method for repairing foundation issues will depend on several factors, including the extent of the damage and how much access repair crews can gain to the foundation. The fix may be as simple as foundation crack repair to prevent water from seeping in and causing further damage. More extensive repairs such as reinforcement or parging or even the stabilizing of bowed walls may be needed. The good news is that even major structural issues can often be repaired.
How much does it cost to repair foundation issues?
The answer to the question depends on what needs to be done. Foundation cracks can often be repaired for a few hundred dollars, whereas major repairs that involve hydraulic piers might cost $10,000 or more. On average, however, most Hamilton homeowners can expect to pay somewhere between $2000-$7000.
When not addressed, the important thing to remember is that foundation issues tend to worsen, that the cost to repair them will go up. If you suspect you’ve got foundation issues, it is important to contact a foundation repair company such as Conterra Foundation as soon as possible.
Contact Conterra Foundation today.
If you are concerned that your Hamilton home has foundation issues, you can rest easy knowing that these problems can usually be fixed, but you should not delay in having an expert out to your home to assess the situation. Contact Conterra Foundation today to schedule a consultation.